Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Welcome to the World, BEO!

It all started with a conversation, as most journeys do. I was speaking with a candidate of mine who I thought was an absolute rock star in the project management arena. We connected and found ourselves chatting about various topics. Come to find out we share a home town and an affection for it. Fast forward about two years and we are still in contact; reconnected to discuss the upcoming end of her contract. We catch up and I share that I am launching a whole array of training programs for job seekers and companies to address the needs of the current market. Somehow I mention that I would like to reach teenagers because I am passionate about young people and would love to give them a leg up when it comes to looking for a job.

My friend hears of my interest and reminds me that she is affiliated with an organization based in Pasadena, CA called Outward Bound Los Angeles (OBLA) and would like to explore the possibility of having me talk with the young people enrolled in their program. I was thrilled by the idea and within weeks we had scheduled the first class. Since April of 2009 I have been going to the OBLA offices delivering workshops to kids ranging in age from 14 to 23. There was talk of getting a line item added in the budget for the program, but that just doesn't work for me. Why on earth should any organization that relies on the generosity of others to run have to pay me for something I love to do? I have happily offered the program pro bono and will not change it.

What can I say about these kids? They are fantastic and surprise me with their clarity and insightfulness. I thought they would be a tough crowd, but I find they are eager to learn and always at the ready to challenge the ideas I bring in a fun and interesting way. For my part, I welcome their challenges because they mean two things: One, they are paying attention and two, they are really trying on my ideas for their own lives. I could not be more pleased!

My experience with the young people at OBLA has inspired me to grow the program to empower more young people with the knowledge and skills to look for a job, apply for a job, interview for that job and work successfully on that job. My 15 years of experience as a recruiter has shown me one thing over and over: recruiter's and human resources professionals' knowledge is a well kept secret in the grand scheme of things. I want to blow the doors off of the barrier between feeling ignorant and inferior and feeling informed and worthy of success at every level.

I attended a conference in May of this year presented by the California Utilities Diversity Counsel. While there, I met some wonderful people who inspired me even further. Listening to Assemblyman Tom Torlakson speak was phenomenal and I not only want to support his political career, but I offered to be an experienced mother's voice should he ever need one. His dedication to California's youth is fierce and empowered. I want to help him reach his goal of getting the California schools back into the nation's top ten. Hearing the Honorable V. Manuel Perez, Assembly Member was also an awe-inspiring experience. I wish I could convey this man's powerful presence and intense drive to raise awareness and opportunities in his district and in the state. I only worked up the nerve to ask one of them to by on an advisory board for my venture and with a tentative "yes" in hand, I will approach the other soon.

The conference showed me that there are many, many opportunities arising in all of the efforts being made toward creating a greener energy network and I want to get as many young people involved as possible. It will be no small task, but I just can't stop thinking about the possibilities. My corporate training programs are entitled Reaching Hire™ and I think it's appropriate for youth as well. Adding the word "Outreach" to my company name has a nice ring to is as well and the acronym of BEO has great positive energy.

Here's my plan:
1. Grow the Reaching Hire™ Youth Outreach Program to enable more organizations the opportunity to offer the program to their young people at no cost
2. Create lines of communication with the utilities in California that will work toward formalizing a program to train young people across the state to service the demands coming forth with the green energy movement
3. Create training centers in strategic areas of the state where both young people and others can receive training specific to the utilities' needs. These training centers will be similar to trade schools, but at a minimal cost to students and a first draft resource for the utilities

For my plan to succeed, I will need a few things in place. First and foremost is an advisory board. If you, or someone you know is interested in participating, I promise the responsibilities require a minimal investment of time, and no other investment of any kind beyond an endorsement. Secondly, I'll need sponsors and I am specifically interested in reaching companies who have an interest in young people such as Apple, Nike, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Trade Schools, Universities, the Coast Guard, Air Force and Navy, Target, Tommy Hilfiger, Reebok, Adidas, Mead, Monster/Rockstar, Dell, Sony, the Lakers, Dodgers, etc. You get the idea! I'm putting together a sponsorship packet and will be reaching out soon.

I am ridiculously pleased to see Brick Elm Outreach™ officially start the journey, am tremendously proud of our team and I hope to see you along the way.

No comments: